“Of all the gin joints, in all the
towns, in all the world, she walks into mine”, as Humphrey Bogart delivers one
of Hollywood Cinema’s most memorable lines in the classic war-time love story ‘Casablanca’, one cannot but feel sad for the protagonist in the tale who is
reunited with his lost love only to part ways again, and more so if one has
been in love and lost their loved one. I have often wondered why destiny unites
two people who were never meant to be together, gives them false hopes and
happiness, and then takes it all away one fine day as they are forced to part
ways, leaving them with nothing but memories of a time that they thought would
last forever. I guess it is one of the harsh realities of life that one must
learn to live with - not every love story has a happy ending.
Blame it on the movies that I have
grown up watching and the books that I have read, I had always imagined love to
be the way it is always portrayed in movies and written about in books – lovers
who would fight against all odds to be together, and who would eventually ride into the
sunset hand in hand, lovers who would sacrifice their lives for each other, and lovers who stay true to their love always. Cut
to real life and those images of love that I had conjured up in my mind, all
seems to fall apart. In today’s fast paced life, even love has taken a
back-seat. Break-ups happen no sooner than two people fall in love with each.
Many a times, the reason why a relationship fails is so trivial, that you are
left wondering, was this love for real, because had it been so it would never
have ended this way. “Move On” is what everyone seems to be saying, but is it
as easy as it sounds? I have seen people “move on” without any effort, and then
I have seen people who find it easier to go on living with the memories of
their past than “move on”. We ourselves have complicated our lives. Hatred,
animosity, rivalry, and ego have taken precedence over love. I always wonder
whatever happened to those good old days, when two people met, fell in love,
married each other and lived happily ever after. How I wish life could be that
simple.
However not all hope is lost. Every
once in a while you come across people whose stories resemble the ones that you
have seen in movies, or the ones that you have read about in books, and who
make you want to believe that “true love” does exist (and is not an oxymoron).
In their stories, we also come across many where were destiny plays villain and
separates the two, and that is the sad part.
I believe that Love is one’s
greatest strength and Love is one’s greatest weakness. Without love, we just
cannot survive. As Mother Teresa had rightly said “There is more hunger for
love and appreciation in this world than for bread”. Everyone wants to love and
wants to be loved in return, but it is when we expect love in return that we
become miserable. True love is when you love someone but do not expect anything
in return. If you can love like that, then you will undoubtedly be the happiest
person in this world. Hard as it seems, it definitely is worth trying. On that
thought, here is wishing everyone a very happy Valentine’s Day! Here is to
celebrating true and unconditional love!!
I am signing off this very special
blog with one of my all-time favourite quote on love –
“Love is always patient and kind.
It is never jealous. Love is never boastful or conceited. It is never rude or
selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure
in other people’s sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to
excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes. Love does not come to
an end.”

No comments:
Post a Comment