The journey to Planet-E and back: A walk down memory lane
A series of blogs about my alma mater - Amrita School of Business(ASB) located in the beautiful village of Ettimadai which we Amritians fondly call ‘Planet-E’ and the happenings in the eventful two years of my life there. Dedicated to all Amritians.
Unity in diversity
It was a day of speeches, but there was never
a dull moment. Every professor, every guest who addressed us that day shared
with us very valuable lessons from the wisdom that came from years of
experience in their domain. They were all stalwarts in their fields. Our
professors have great pedigree – IIM, XLRI, JNU, Berkeley, Texas and other top
notch institutions. What surprised me the most was the humbleness and
simplicity of these great minds. I considered myself fortunate to have got an
opportunity to interact with them.
I had always
found new places very daunting. I used to dread the very thought of travelling
to a new place. However my experience in Ettimadai was different. For the first
time in my life, I was totally devoid of the anxiety and fear of being in a new
place. I really felt at home there. It was very unlike me. I guess it was the
first of the many changes that happened to me during the two years that I spent
at Ettimadai.
The first day
in college was very special. I still remember that day as if it were yesterday.
We were the sixteenth batch of students of the institution. The college was
bustling with new students and their parents. I could see anxious faces
everywhere – anxious students and their even more anxious parents. I was trying
to look for a familiar face in the crowd, but to my disappointment could not
find any.
The
inauguration of our batch was to take place in the college auditorium called
Sree Krishna Hall. We at ASB call it the ‘SKH’. It has a very special place in
every ASBian’s life. From the inaugural ceremony to the convocation ceremony,
SKH is the place where all the important events in ASB happen. All ASBians have
very fond memories associated with SKH. For me, one of the fondest memories
would undoubtedly be that of the inauguration day. The function began with a
prayer. It was followed by a series of speeches by the dignitaries at the
function. We were addressed by our then Dean Dr. Gurumurthy Kalyanaram, an MIT
scholar, whom we fondly used to call “GK”. His presence totally changed the atmosphere
in SKH from serious to lively. He came down from the dais and shook hands with
the students and greeted everyone saying “How are you my friend?”. He occasionally
cracked some jokes and won over the audience. We were also taken by surprise
when he recited a sloka in Sanskrit!
It was a day of speeches, but there was never
a dull moment. Every professor, every guest who addressed us that day shared
with us very valuable lessons from the wisdom that came from years of
experience in their domain. They were all stalwarts in their fields. Our
professors have great pedigree – IIM, XLRI, JNU, Berkeley, Texas and other top
notch institutions. What surprised me the most was the humbleness and
simplicity of these great minds. I considered myself fortunate to have got an
opportunity to interact with them.
It was on
that day that we came to know that our batch comprised of students from U.P,
Bihar, West Bengal, Delhi, A.P, Tamilnadu and Kerala. There were students like
me who had worked prior to joining the college and then there were also
students who were fresh out of college. We were a batch of students from
different regions of our nation, with varied educational backgrounds, and belonging to
different age groups. But we were all united by the purpose that had brought each
of us to Ettimadai – to learn. As the inauguration ceremony came to a close the
conversations among the students started. We started talking to each other and
the differences just seemed to melt away.
Two years later
as I write this, many of the people whom I had met for the first time that day
are now my best friends. They were total strangers to me two years back and now
they are an inseparable part of my life. We have stood by each other through thick
and thin in the last two years. The first day in college not only marked a new phase in our lives,
but also the beginning of many a friendship. Together we began the journey
towards our goal and what a journey it has been!
life is like that...
ReplyDelete